- Related articles
- Most Popular
- London Labour and the London Poor (Vol. 1 of 4) by Henry Mayhew - Free Ebook
- London Labour and the London Poor, Vol. 3
The collection teems with the minute particulars of the everyday—bits and pieces of London lives assembled into a precarious whole by the author, editor, and principal investigator, Henry Mayhew. Historical appendices include a contemporary map of London, reviews of London Labour , and other slum journalism from the period.
This volume offers treasures, equally to those just discovering Mayhew and to those who have encountered his work before. This is the edition of Mayhew selections to get—a Mayhew for our times. Most extensive work of its kind. Get A Copy.
- Christmas Heat.
- Fiddler Crabbe;
- The AbSmart Fitness Plan: The Proven Workout to Lose Inches and Strengthen Your Core Without Straining Your Back.
- Henry Mayhew: London Labour and the London Poor - NaxosDirect!
- London Labour and the London Poor (unabridged) – Naxos AudioBooks.
Paperback , pages. More Details Other Editions 9. Friend Reviews. To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up. Lists with This Book.
This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Community Reviews. Showing Rating details. More filters. Sort order. London Labour And The London Poor V shall remain a continual source of research for me throughout the upcoming years.
- Join Kobo & start eReading today.
- IASLC Textbook of Prevention and Early Detection of Lung Cancer.
- London labour and the London poor - Henry Mayhew - Google книги;
- The Secret Doctrine of the Rosicrucians;
- Communication Yearbooks Vols 6-33 Set: Communication Yearbook 33 (Volume 33);
- Pure Pagan: Seven Centuries of Greek Poems and Fragments (Modern Library Classics);
I found this particular volume of as much immense interest as the other three. The details given to the lives, jobs, activities, etc.
I found this book's contents helpful and inspiring - number rating relates to the book's contribution to my needs. Overall, this s work is also a good resource for the researcher, enthusiast and scriptwriter.
- Savage Harvest: A Tale of Cannibals, Colonialism, and Michael Rockefellers Tragic Quest for Primitive Art?
- The Breakthrough Experience.
- Follow the Author;
- Also Ordered;
- Item Preview?
- You may also like......
- Mayhew: London Labour & The London Poor?
Considered academically as a literary source for the author Charles Dickens. Bob rated it it was amazing Jul 29, Erica rated it it was amazing Aug 30, If you want to know how it was like for the lower working class in London and their daily routines and rituals, this is the book, written by someone who interviewed the ragtag army of merchants and menial workers who ecked out a meager and difficult existence of those days.
London Labour and the London Poor (Vol. 1 of 4) by Henry Mayhew - Free Ebook
Makes you appreciate living as it is today. Henry Mayhew, founder of Punch magazine, wrote this four-volume sociological classic during the 's. If you are at all interested in the Victorian era, in British history, in London, or in urban history in general, this is a must-read. The Penguin version is abridged and is a distillation of the "best" of the multiple-volume set. This distillation is itself over pages, so imagine the impact of the entire set! The utter destitution of the London poor is set out in such vivid detail than one cannot help being shocked at the conditions human beings were forced to live in in the greatest city of its time.
The only fault I find with this book is Mayhew's occasional lapses into preaching. Otherwise a fine book. Great historical narrative for this time period and written from someone that witnessed first hand. So many different archetypes back then and socialized strata of people among that segment of the population. Ordered a used copy; very happy that I was able to get my hands on this.
London Labour and the London Poor, Vol. 3
Victorian Slum London is one of those niche interests and this is a critical text! First of all, the subject matter is very engaging. The issue is that the pages are barely readable. This edition is a photocopy of the original and the actual image size is much smaller than the size of the book. Add to this that some pages are blurry and reading becomes a challenge.
Every now and then, one page is blank, which shows the level of care which went into this edition. Mayhew deserves better treatment. Go to Amazon.
Back to top.